Thursday, September 20, 2012

Limit Carbohydrates

Limiting carbs was how Diana and I were first able to control our blood sugar and subsequently lose weight. This makes sense since technically diabetes is simply your body's inability to process carbohydrates properly. Note, we didn't cut our carbs drastically. We just lowered them by making better food choices. In my case, I kept my carbohydrates to typically under 125 grams a day. Diana aimed for under 85 but was mostly successful in staying under 100. (Diana is more sensitive to carbohydrates than I am.)

Now, it is fairly natural for me to rarely eat rice, pasta, bread products, or sugary foods.  I occasionally will add a bit of whole grain pasta, brown rice, or bulgar to soup. I will also sometimes add a few legumes like black beans to a vegetable dish. These are additions to foods mostly consisting of vegetables and meats though, not things that I am having a whole serving of at once. I do eat fruit, including dried fruit, but I avoid fruit juices except for a little lime in some diet soda sometimes.

What about vegetables that are often described as high carb? Potatoes, yams, parsnips, beets, corn, and peas? I find that these vegetables have less affect on my blood sugar (legumes also.) I rarely eat white potatoes although I will occasionally add one chopped up really small to a pot of soup. I have one small sweet potato about twice a month for lunch. Again, I find that if I am going to have a high carb item it is better to have it at lunch than at dinner. Beets have a lot off micro-nutrients in them (look at that color!) and less carbs than potatoes so I eat them fairly regularly. I will eat a whole can of beets simply drained for a snack. I will also sometimes roast a fresh beet in the microwave for lunch. We buy frozen corn and sometimes I add some to soup. We also sometimes buy canned creamed corn which I add to soup. I sometimes buy and eat frozen peas. I feel that all these vegetable carbs are better than white flour/sugar carbs because they come with a whole bunch of nutrients naturally attached.

How do the carbs stack up?  Here is a quick list, all volumes are for cooked portions.

bread, white 1 oz. slice - 14 grams
bread, whole wheat 1 oz. slice - 11 grams
oatmeal 1/2 c.. - 12 grams
rice, white 1/2 c. - 22 grams
rice, brown 1/2 c. - 22 grams
elbow macaroni 1/2 c. - 18 grams
black beans 1/2 c. - 20 grams
pinto beans 1/2 c. - 22 grams
corn 1/2 c. - 15 grams
peas 1/2 c. - 11 grams
beets 1/2 c. - 5 grams
potato 1/2 c. - 15 grams
yam 1/2 c. - 18 grams
parsnip 1/2 c. - 13 grams

It is important to note that in the American nutrition reporting system, there is no distinction between fiber and other carbohydrates so the above carb listings include all carbs. They don't give a complete picture of health benefits. Items with more fiber in the carb counts are going to have less affect on your blood sugar and be absorbed more slowly than those with less fiber. Also, the American Diabetes Association considers 15 grams of carbohydrate to be a serving.

1 comment:

Ben Murvi said...

It's hard to reduse amount of carbohydrates. A lot of people are using different appetite suppressant to control hunger becouse of it