Sunday, May 23, 2010

I never posted this on the first due to poison ivy so here it is now!

Here it is the first day of a new month, and I am always so excited to look at my progress. Our goals for this month were:


Me - to weigh under 280 and to keep my fasting bg under 100
Diana - to weigh under 214 and to get her bg under 120

How did we do? Well, I weighed in at 277, three pounds under goal. My fasting blood glucose this morning was 104 though! I was a little upset. I went back over my nutrition profile. Last month, I averaged 117 grams of carbs a day, and this month, I averaged 118 grams of carbs a day. That is not a significant difference. A lot of things could account for the higher blood glucose reading. It could be a normal variation (although normal variations tend to be limited to a 5 mg difference, and mine is up 6 mg from 98 last month). It could be the stress of having a cold. (I don't have enough experience tracking my blood glucose to know if this is a factor with me.) It could be that last month's reading was an anomaly, and I am still running in the pre-diabetic range.

My action plan is to keep losing weight, and as an extra precaution, spend a day tracking my blood glucose to check for abnormal highs. If I have other abnormal highs, I may decide to be more careful with my diet.  (Edit: I did spend a day tracking, and my numbers were all within the normal non-diabetic range so I am not worried.  I may have my A1C tested at some point in the future for more data though.)

Diana weighed in this morning at 213. Way to go Diana! I was especially proud of her reaching this goal this month because she has really been struggling with sticking to her calorie goals and correspondingly losing weight this month. In the end, she stuck with it and came through! Diana's blood glucose we 123. Not quite reaching the goal I wrote, but I still think that it is really, really good! She has finally entered the pre-diabetic range. I don't plan on changing anything in Diana's program. I believe that with continued weight loss she will continue to reduce her bg levels until she sees normal. Next month, she will have her A1C tested to see how her overall blood glucose is improving.

Now for this month's goals!

Me - to weigh under 271 and to get my fasting bg back under 100
Diana - to weigh under 208 and to get her fasting bg under 120

Random data for my records:

This month - calories 2018, carb 117

concerns - saturated fat 169, cholesterol 146, sodium 230, potassium 49, fiber 59, iron 84, magnesium 90

Last month - calories 1917, carb 118

concerns - saturated fat 180 (yay is down), polyunsaturated fat 78 (yay is up to target), cholesterol 155 (yay is down), sodium 279 (yay is down), potassium 53 (boo is down), fiber 65 (boo is down), iron 78 (yay is up), magnesium was fine this month (I know why it is down and how to fix it)

(Edit: I will be writing about some of my extended nutrition goals here soon!)

1 comment:

Emma said...

You guys are so inspiring with your success! I have started a challenge on my diet site that will help me focus on exercising this summer (my super weak point). Competition and accountability are hopefully what will help me get in better shape.