Thursday, April 15, 2010

Nutrition Progress

I have been having some success with improving my nutrition. My saturated fat/polyunsaturated fat ratio is slowly improving. My cholesterol intake is dropping. (I only had 137 mg today!) My sodium intake is also dropping although I believe that this is one of the hardest things to reduce. I already don't salt my food before eating it, and I use very little salt in cooking, and I am still taking in over 3000 mg a day. This is down from around 4500 mg when I started, but still more than twice the amount that I would like to have.

One difficulty is eating out. In the past, we have not eaten out a lot, but lately, it seems that we are eating out all the time, and we have two eating out occasions scheduled in the next week! I really don't know how to decrease the sodium on these occasions. My best hope at the moment is to even it out by having even less at home. I am going to try some sodium free seasonings to improve the flavor of food for all of us. I tend to only use salt in recipes when I think that the rest of my family is going to miss it.

No comments: