Sunday, February 14, 2010

Supplements

I forgot to include my supplements yesterday. We have gotten some tax return money in the mail, and I am back on the Calcium/Vitamin D supplements again. I am very excited to have this option, and I don't have to worry so much about trying to get milk anymore. (It is odd that we *just* bought the 1% milk though. I almost feel guilty, but if I don't use it the rest of the family will.)

I have one worry about the supplement though. I use a supplement that gives me adequate calcium for PMDD and enough Vitamin D to make sure that it is utilized well (and since inadequate Vitamin D has now been linked to other health problems that is even better.) The problem is that the particular supplement I have been using also contains some other minerals. I never really thought much about it before. I assumed that they were minerals that most people didn't get enough of. The truth is that I have seen from my diet program that I usually get 200% of the USRDA for manganese every day, and my daily dose of pills contains another 180%. Now, I can somewhat understand why manganese is in the supplement. Manganese is important for proper bone development, and the primary reason people take calcium supplements is worry about osteoporosis. That is not why I take it though! Also lots of people do not get enough diversity of fruits and vegetables in their diets. I do though (on average).

This has led me to do some research on manganese (especially since the Diet Power program keeps warning me that I am getting too much!) The first thing I found out was that some people can experience the symptoms of a manganese overdose at as low as 400% the USRDA. I have not reached that, but I have approached it. The symptoms of too much manganese include laughing, slurred speech, hand tremors, and an immobile facial expression. I do have hand tremors on occasion so these symptoms worried me. Then I did more indepth research.

I find out that the USRDA for this mineral is a very new thing! It is also is on the shaky side of just how accurate it is. I also find out that the needs for manganese for perimenopausal women (like myself) tends to be greater than other parts of the population with the exception of pregnant women and women who are trying to get pregnant. Manganese supplementation in perimenopausal women has been associated with decreased tiredness, decreased irritability, improvements in memory, and improvements in muscle reflex speed. These are all very good things. So for now, I am going to continue with the supplement that I have used in the past, but I will be watching for those symptoms of overdose just to be safe!

This morning, I weighed 297.2 lbs. I was so excited to be under the 300 lbs. mark. Now I am just hoping the my blood sugar is also going down. I will be testing it first thing in the morning on March 1. Since this plan seems to be working in other ways, I am so hoping that it will also lower my blood sugar.

I didn't get myself breakfast until 10:15, and I had 4.8 oz. strawberries, 3.1 oz. banana, .9 oz gouda, .3 oz. bacon, 1.8 oz. tomato, .8 oz. swiss, and 2.6 oz. turkey. I had 12 oz. coffee to drink with 1 tbsp. heavy cream and 1 packet of aspartame based sweetener, and I had 1 calcium/Vitamin D supplement.

At 11:45, I am thirsty, and I drink 12 oz. water.

At 1:00, I am not hungry for lunch yet, but I am still thirsty so I drink another 12 oz. water.

At 3:15, I am hungry! For lunch, I have 13.3 oz. of leftover spaghetti sauce soup and a 5.5 oz. can of V8 juice. I also have another 12 oz. water.

Then a little more than an hour later at 4:30, I realized I was still pretty hungry, and it would still be a long time until dinner so I had 1/2 of a roast beef sandwich with some gouda and some tomato on it all on just one slice of thin whole wheat bread. It had a little Miracle Whip type salad dressing on it too.

Before dinner, I had another couple of 12 oz. mugs of water.

Dinner was at about 8:30, and I had 1/4 of a medium size pizza with pepperoni, and a lot of broccoli and red peppers on it. I also had a piece of dessert pizza. This was our Valentine's feast.

Summary

Calories 2288
Fat 122 grams
Carbs 204 grams
Protein 111 grams

Exercise - none dedicated

I am tired with no time to proofread tonight!

No comments: