Monday, February 1, 2010

Diet Today

Today was not a typical day for me. Usually I get up at about 7:00 and help Diana get ready for work and then eat breakfast when she leaves at about 8:00, or I get up at about 7:15, take a shower and start the laundry, and then eat breakfast at about 8:00. Today Diana had jury duty. She had to be there at 9:30. So I got up at 7:15, packed her lunch, started laundry, and then at 8 when I am usually eating it was time to get her up and help her get ready to go. I didn't want to go another hour without eating because I was hungry and wanted to start the day out right. So I pour 1/2 a cup of frozen unsweetened blueberries into one bowl, a quarter cup each of raw almonds and pecans into another bowl, and 12 oz. water into a mug, and I snacked and sipped while helping her and continuing beyond. Nuts are rather difficult for me to eat because I have teeth problems so I wasn't done with that snack until 9:30. I was still thirsty then so I got another 8 oz. of water and drank it.

At about 10:30, I had some time to eat something hot, and I was quite chilly so it seemed a good idea. I sauteed a 4.3 ounce salmon fillet in 2 tsp. olive oil. I did salt and pepper it lightly. It was chum salmon, wild caught. I also had 12 oz. coffee that I had brewed myself with 1 tsp. heavy cream and 1 pkt. aspartame type sweetener added to it. I felt a little bit guilty about the heavy cream, and it was only 1 tsp.! I can't let myself be too didactic about this, or it will never work! I was thirsty after the coffee and salmon so I had another 12 oz. water.

At 1:00, I am feeling ravenously hungry! I think this is due to the change in eating. I have bowl containing 1/2 c. frozen peas, 1/2 c. left over whole wheat rotini, and 3 oz. of leftover ham chopped and mixed. The ham was originally roasted with a light glaze. I also have another cup of coffee, this one "au lait." I use 1/2 c. 2% milk, 8 oz. coffee, and 1 pkt. aspartame based sweetener. The food tastes so good!

At 2:30, I head outside for some exercise. My exercise of choice lately has been snow shoveling. It use to be the kids did all the snow shoveling, and I would be walking on the street, but I would so much rather be doing something useful. (Especially in the winter, when the weather is not so enjoyable.) So I did some light snow shoveling for 15 minutes. I would rather exercise longer, but today I have a lot of things to accomplish!

The next part of my day involved a lot of grocery shopping! I could probably count that as exercise, but I am not going to because it is just a regular part of my routine. It is also traditional that whoever does the shopping gets a treat at the end of the trip. Keeping in mind that I was making healthier choices, for my treat I had two pieces of reduced fat string cheese and a 1 L bottle of apricot peach sparking water (calorie and sodium free.) That is a lot of fluid, but I have been very thirsty lately. Hopefully that will moderate soon. The string cheese was eaten at about 6:00, and the water was started at 6:00 and continued on as my beverage for dinner.

Dinner took awhile for me to make. I had to make sure all the groceries got put away properly, and I had to clean up the kitchen a bit before I even started cooking. The result was that I didn't sit down to eat until 8:30. I had 1 more cup of leftover whole wheat rotini, topped with a scant 1.5 cups of spaghetti sauce soup (mushrooms, broccoli, onion, and lean ground beef cooked in a bit of olive oil and then simmered with a jar of spaghetti sauce and a can of diced tomatoes). I topped it off with a tbsp. of parmesan/romano cheese blend and another stick of reduced fat string cheese chopped and melted.

Summary:

Morning snack - 1/2 c. nuts, 1/2 c. blueberries
Breakfast - 4 oz. salmon fillet, coffee w/1 tsp. cream
Lunch - 1/2 c. peas, 1/2 c. whole wheat rotini, 3 oz. ham, coffee w/1/2 c. 2% milk
Afternoon snack - 2 sticks string cheese
Dinner - 1.5 c. spaghetti sauce soup, 1 c. rotini

NQ 96 (A)
Calories 1780
Fat 98 g
Carbs 120 g
Protein 121 g
Water 113 fl oz

Exercise - 15 minutes light snow shoveling

I think it is cool to see that just by making an effort to choose better (not to be perfect) I did do better! Most people would say that my diet for today was excellent.

No comments: