Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 3 - Making Better Choices

Today I let myself sleep late. I had gotten to bed extra late last night, and I wasn't feeling very good. I don't do so well with sleeping late though so the result was that I didn't get out of bed until 11:00, and I was on the grouchy side. I do feel better rested than I have in a few days though. The grouchiness will pass. I awake from all naps on the grouchy side too.

I felt like I had lost about four hours of my life when I got up so I didn't get myself something to eat or drink right away but hopped right into doing other things. At noon, I realized that I was achy and had a half a cup of diet ginger ale with some pain relievers. Then I started cooking, but before I made food for myself, I made sure that the other members of my family had been fed. The result was that I didn't sit down to what could only be described as lunch until about 1:30. I had a cup of coffee with a tablespoon of heavy cream and a packet of aspartame based sweetener, and an omelet made from two large eggs, one teaspoon of butter, two ounces of ham, 1.3 ounces of mushrooms, 1.3 ounces of broccoli, and .6 ounces of smoked Swiss cheese. It was delicious! I am still hungry now though.

At 2:30, to assuage that hunger I have 12 ounces of water and 1/4 cup of unsweetened frozen blueberries. The blueberries taste extra delicious, and the water is extra refreshing!

Then still being hungry, I have a can of spinach at 3:00 (13.5 oz.) Once again, the spinach is so good, so warm, so filling. (Of course, canned spinach is one of my comfort food so this is not all that surprising.)

I am hungry again at 4:30, and I decide to have a real lunch: 1 cup whole wheat rotini, 2/3 cup spaghetti soup, with 1.6 ounces of fake lobster made from surimi mixed in.

Dinner is ready at 7:00. I have 3.7 oz. smoked turkey, .7 oz. gouda, 3.9 oz. four seed bread, 5.5 oz. Prince Edward Island blend (yellow and green beans and baby cut carrots) and 12 oz. diet gingerale. I finish up my evening with a mug (12 oz.) of Candy Cane Lane tea at 9:30.

Summary

breakfast - coffee, omelet with mushrooms, broccoli, ham, and smoked swiss
afternoon snack - blueberries, spinach
lunch - leftover whole wheat rotini with spaghetti sauce soup and surimi on top
dinner - four seed bread with gouda and smoked turkey, prince edward island veggie blend, diet ginger ale
evening snack - candy cane lane tea

calories - 1430
fat - 55.7 grams
carbs - 133 grams
protein - 111 grams

Nutrition Score - 120 (which is supposedly an A++)

Exercise - nothing specific

I have to note that I am not exactly sure how the nutrition score works, or if it is a very accurate way to judge what you eat. Looking over my nutrition for the day, I did eat a pretty healthy diet, and I am near 100% of the US RDA for many nutrients, but I did have twice as much cholesterol and twice as much sodium as you are suppose to have. Also I only had 1/4 of the US RDA of both vitamin D and vitamin E. Since I am at risk for heart disease, I would think that all of those values would keep me from being an A++. Hmmm...

1 comment:

Emma said...

Everything has soooo much sodium in it these days I think it's nearly impossible to only have a healthy amount of it. WTG on eating healthy. I am trying to but convenience keeps winning...