Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Day 10

Today is day ten of making better choices month. Yesterday evening, in spite of eating more nutritionally sound than I had the past week, I felt somewhat bad about my food choices for the day. I felt that I had eaten too much, and I felt that I had let myself get too hungry at one point. I was having anxious feelings about the whole thing which is a bad place to be because that is when things can slide. Today I woke with a renewed fervor to see this month out making the best choices I can with no rules in place other than logging my foods and writing here. I think it might be just a wee bit easier if I had some sort of feedback at this point so I am hoping that Diana will agree to us getting a scale sometime soon that I can use to way myself.

Anyways, this morning, I was determined to choose a healthy breakfast. I got out a favorite plate and a favorite bowl and my mug (which I don't love, but I consider it mine so it will do for now.) I proceeded to fill them with things that I knew would be nutritious for my body to the best of my ability. In the bowl, I made 1 oz. of quick oats into oatmeal with 2/3 c. of water. Then I added 1 c. (140 g) of triple berry blend (frozen berries from Aldi - blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries) and 1 packet of aspartame based sweetener. I got out my small cast iron frying pan, heated it, added 1 tsp. of canola oil, and cooked two eggs in it. I put those on the small plate. Then I put 1/2 a c. of 2% milk in my mug and topped it off with coffee (about 8 or 9 oz.)

At 11:00, I do the same thing. I get out my mug and my small yellow flower plate and contemplate what I could put on them to make a snack that would be healthy and satisfying for me right then. I select 1/4 c. pecans (1 oz.) and 1/2 an avocado (2.3 oz.). I fill the mug with 12 oz. of water.

Note, whenever I refer to beverage amounts here in ounces, I mean fluid ounces. I wouldn't want anyone to be confused on that point!

Lunch isn't until 2:30, and I make myself a tuna salad consisting of 2.8 oz. of tuna, 1 t. of chopped onion, .9 oz. chopped celery, .9 oz. crumbled blue cheese, and 2 tbsp. of mayonnaise. I eat this with 8.8 oz. of canned green beans and .8 oz. of cheese crackers. My beverage is 12 oz. water.

At 4:00, Diana and I go for a walk. It is very cold and windy, and there is some ice and snow on the edge of the street so walking isn't completely easy although the streets themselves are not slippery. We walk in the direction that we have some downhill there and some uphill coming back. It was enough uphill to get me out of breath. We only walked for 15 minutes about 1/2 a mile, but it was *some* exercise, and it is very good for me to be outside. Matter of fact, I may go back out. OK probably not because I feel like I have a *lot* of things left to do today, but I would like to go back out.

At 6:30, I am only starting dinner so I grabbed 1 oz. of beef jerky and 5 oz. of diet ginger ale to hold me over. I notice that the package of beef jerky says that it contains 70 calories and 1 gram of fat, but the generic beef jerky entry on the Diet Power program says that 1 oz. of beef jerky has 153 calories and 13.9 grams of fat. That is a pretty big discrepancy!

I somehow end up not actually eating my dinner until 9:00! I have a small chicken breast (4.6 oz.) cooked in 1 tsp. canola oil topped with 1/4 c. spaghetti sauce and .7 oz. smoked swiss cheese, a large serving of coleslaw, and for dessert 3.4 oz. frozen strawberries. I have 12 oz. candy cane lane tea to drink.

Once again my Vitamin D is very low. I think I am eating too much too although I am still in the weight loss range for my weight according to Diet Power.

Summary

Calories - 2235
Fat - 144 grams
Carbs - 135 grams
Protein - 116 grams

Exercise - 15 minutes walking at 2 mph

No comments: