Monday, December 14, 2009

Passion

After a long absence from this blog, I feel compelled to write an entry on passion. My blog tagline is "Following a philosophy of positivity, passion, and play." I think I have talked about positivity a lot here, and most people, if not all, have a pretty good concept of what equates play. Passion is a little tricker.

Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary defines "passion" as "an intense, driving, or overmastering feeling or conviction." In philosophy, passions are often seen as a negative thing. These uncontrollable emotional urges that can lead one to sin or folly are seen as the greatest fault of humankind by many philosophical schools. On the other hand, what is the opposite of passion? Could it be apathy? Could it be a life ruled only by reason and logic with one rule following another in a steady march from birth to death?

In my experience, I have tried hard to live a life ruled by logic. My mind works in highly logical ways. I have met others who have also tried, and the result tends to be the same. A life ruled by logic is not only a life with less joy, it is also a life with little accomplished. Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel said, "Nothing great in the world has been accomplished without passion." I do not completely believe in that statement. I think some great things have been accomplished accidentally without even intent! I think some great things have happened because little things built up until it was nearly inevitable that they would occur. I think some great things have happened because of logic and reason. I think more great things would happen with passion though, and I think those great things would be accompanied by more personal satisfaction and joy!

So I choose to lead a life where I pay attention to passions, both mine and those of others who I interact with, both those positive and negative. Instead of fighting passion, I encourage listening to it, finding out where it originates, and if it resonates with who you are, following it. You just might be a little happier, and great things may follow!

No comments: