Thursday, September 24, 2009

Product Review - Breyers Inspirations Mint Chocolate Chip Yogurt

As I have mentioned before, my partner is diabetic and works actively to reduce the carbs in her diet. She really loves ice cream, but it is not a particularly healthy food for her, and portion control is definitely a problem with a big carton in the freezer. Recently she has found a healthier way to satisfy her ice cream craving. She buys single serve containers of yogurt and freezes them. When she wants a treat, she empties a carton, drizzles on a little magic shell topping, and enjoys with less guilt than the real thing.

We have been experimenting with different flavors and brands of yogurt, and that has led to my kids getting into yogurt (both frozen and just refrigerated) too. I am not a big yogurt fan, but when I saw these new Breyers Inspirations, I had to give them a try. I love Breyers ice cream, and mint chocolate chip is one of my all time favorites! I have sensitive teeth and frozen yogurt can get very hard, so I decided to try my new treat straight from the refrigerator.

The first bite was disappointing. There was a very strong sour flavor. Now, I do know that yogurt has a sour flavor, but this flavor really didn't blend well with the peppermint flavor at all! The chocolate chips were really, really good. They clumped together and were had the delicious flavor of high quality chocolate. The texture was perfect. The chips melted on my tongue with none of the chalkiness that is often found in similar products. Also, there were a lot of chips! I finished the container, but the combination of sour-yogurty-ness and mint were so displeasing that I will not be buying this product again.

No comments: