Monday, September 21, 2009

Not Your Ideal Weight Loss Food...

But I thought you all might want to know!

In the last few days, I have tried both deep fried pickle chips and deep fried macaroni and cheese for the first time. Neither sounded particularly appealing to me, but both turned out to be pretty good.

The pickle chips taste rather like deep fried zucchini, only tangier. Diana ate them with a sweet peanut sauce and really liked them. I do not like peanut sauces very much but found the pickle chips fairly tasty plain or dipped in sour cream. They were reminiscent of dill pickle potato chips which I do like, but they are not a particular favorite. My conclusion about the deep fried pickle chips was that although I do like them, I would probably not choose to eat them again unless perhaps I was sharing them with someone who had not ever tried them before. There are just too many other tasty foods that I would rather be eating.

The deep fried macaroni and cheese was similar to deep fried cheese sticks in flavor, but the presence of macaroni (which seems to me like something that just shouldn't be battered and deep fried) was a distraction. Again, although it was OK, I can't imagine eating it again.

2 comments:

BunnyKissd said...

I agree with both. Fun to try, but there are other, more fun things out there...

Vicki of RaVena Relics said...

I have always wrestled with trying the fried mac-n-cheese, so thanks for solving the mystery for me... I do, however, want to try a deep-fried twinkie, but am devastated on how the change in recipe a few years back has totally altered them. I would rather pass on the "new" twinkie and just remember the greasy, creamy, gritty goodness from my youth, lol...
Next summer I WILL try a deep-fried Oreo, though (and then do a six-mile walk of shame the next day)!