Thursday, May 7, 2009

Who Benefits When People Worry about Their Weight?

I have been talking a lot about the dangers of spending too much time worrying about your weight.  There is the lost time that could be better spent.  There is the loss of joy, for worrying and joy do not usually go together.  There is the obsessing about food and exercise.  There may even be health concerns.  

All of that seems obvious to me when I think outside the box.  The question to me is who created the box?  Well the media for one.  The obesity epidemic makes a good story.  The fashion in celebrities continues to lean towards the underweight.  It is easy to take a headline and run with it, and ratings tend to rise with sensationalism more than with balanced reporting.  (When I talk to acquaintances about the obesity paradox (the fact that the obesity actually helps health in some ways) most have never even heard the term, but everyone knows about the obesity epidemic.)

I don't really think that the media directly benefits from people worrying about their weight.  The weight loss industry is another story.  It would be nice if the days of the snake oil dealers were truly past, but it seems that the weight loss industry is filling that niche.  It is odd to me that in the 21st century, a time with more access to information than any other time in the history of the human race on earth, people still use their hard earned cash to invest in products and services that have a lower that 5% success rate!  I know.  You can say that maybe you'll be one of the lucky few.  Maybe those "unsightly" pounds will come off if you just try this one last thing!  Your life is at risk, right?  That is what they want to have you believe.

I just want everyone to think twice before squelching their joy and emptying their pockets books.  It is time to take back you life!  Live each day with positivity, passion, and joy and become the person that you were meant to be.  Even if my life was extended by a few years, it would not make up for all of the time that I wasted worrying about my weight.

4 comments:

AdviceMaven said...

We are a culture overly obsessed with weight. I am shocked that anyone would take weight loss products since they all seem to end up having deadly side effects once they've been on the market too long. Just saw that the latest one causes liver problems. If I'm going to harm my liver I'm doing it with wine, not a weight loss supplement.

BetterSpines said...

In the olden times, overweight was a sign of prosperity. I guess we are all very prosperous now. And yes there is a true problem with obesity especially with children. But the media hype doesn't help any more than it did with the so-called pandemic recently. We just need to get off our butts, eat home cooked unprocessed foods and get a semblance of balance back into our lives.

conversationswithmoms said...

I don't think it's good to get obsessed with anything, let alone weight. Ironic, that I write this, but yet it's the topic of my Friday Frustration's today.

Angel said...

I have lost have of my life worrying about my weight, and also almost lost my life due to anorexia. I am currently in recovery, and improving everyday, but it's not worth it. Women need to try and accept and love their bodies for the amazing things that they can do.