Sunday, April 26, 2009

Thoughts on Obesity

Recently I have started to recognize prejudice against the overweight in a way that I had not in the past.

Today I stumbled upon this article from Obesity , a research journal dedicated to the topic of obesity.  The article explores the fact that not only is prejudice against obesity alive and well in modern society, it is increasing at an alarming rate!

As someone who was once afraid to socialize thinking that no one would want to be my friend because I was fat, and who is still terrified of taking walks on the side of the road because of the the taunts occasionally hurled in my direction, I was not surprised to read that weight related stigma correlates to emotional problems which then can lead to the very behaviors that could increase weight.

I have a lot more thoughts about this, but this was a very busy day.  My body aches and is ready for bed.  I will write more tomorrow.

No comments: