Friday, March 6, 2009

More Thoughts on Food Journaling & Being Kind

First, I have been thinking a lot about food journaling, and its effect on me. I do not like its effect on me. When I need to write down what I am eating, I can't eat when I am hungry. I actually find myself eating more food because I feel the need to eat a lot when I am going to the bother of writing it down. Also, I find myself thinking about food all the time which is a way I haven't been for a very long time. So I have decided to no longer journal what I am eating for the time being.

Today is the sixth day of March and the sixth day of my month of developing the habit of kindness. I have been putting kindness into practice in small ways everyday. One of my thoughts has been that that the start of kindness is not "doing something." It is learning to stop doing something. That something is controlling (or attempting to control) other people.

The first step in my journey to habitual kindness is to allow others to be who they are. This doesn't meant that I can't assert myself and ask for help or things that I need from those in my life. It just means that I accept that I cannot force them to do anything. It is not right. It is not kind.

I have already seen some good effects of being more kind in myself and others. Have you been kind to those around you today?

No comments: