Sunday, February 8, 2009

What Should We Eat?

I have been feeling better physically the last few days, but I have found myself weepy with no apparent reason time and time again. I am not a fan of winter, and we are coming to the end of a difficult time, and I think that it has all just been too much for me! My girlfriend feels that my stomach problems have been mostly anxiety related, and I think that she might be right.

I have a lot of curiosity, and I tend to spend a lot of time reviewing research on various topics of interest to me. One of these topics is nutrition. I am curious about how food affects us, and what we should eat, or if it even matters what we eat. I recently read a few blogs where people were trying out radical diets so the last few days, I have once again been reviewing the research.

I did not find any hard evidence that any of the diets that I read about were better than the diet that I strive to eat now. (I admit that I am not terribly successful at the moment. I still wonder if there is something easier that is just as healthy. I highly doubt that one of these radical diets is it!)

What do I think the ideal diet is? I think that the bulk of the diet should be made up of minimally processed fruits and vegetables. Those fruits and vegetables that have lower concentrations of carbohydrates should be eaten in higher amounts than those with higher carbohydrate concentrations. This diet can be supplemented with legumes, whole grains, lowfat meats, lowfat dairy, nuts, seeds, and mono- and poly-unsaturated fats, but the fruits and veggies should make up the bulk of what you eat.

I am still open to some new discoveries, but for now, I will stick with this for my goal. It is hard enough to achieve in comparison to the typical American diet. After I master this plan, perhaps I will experiment with more changes.

No comments: