Monday, February 23, 2009

Single-tasked to Handle Stress

We have been really busy in my family the last few days, and busy-ness often leads to stress for me. My mind is always constructing rules, and when I don't follow them (either because the rules are contradictory and impossible to follow or because I am so overwhelmed that following them becomes impossible), stress is the result. That is when I need to stop, and get out of my head and back into the moment.

Single-tasking is the weapon that I use to combat that stress. I do one thing and finish it, and then move onto the next. I don't expect anything more from myself. At my worst, I just go through the motions; at my best, I embrace each moment of each activity knowing and feeling what I am doing, where I am, how I am, those around me, etc.

This month, I have been concentrating on eliminating non-essential things from my life. This can be tricky. We are each different. Some things I might find essential might be trivial to you. As I pass through the last week of this month, I want to pursue this further. Up until now, I have used my intellect a lot. I have though about what things I need or want to spend my time on for various reasons looking at what I know about myself. Now, I want to feel. I think my method up until now has not produced optimal results. For example, I decided a few months back when I first started thinking about what was really essential that one activity was not essential. It has remained and even increased. I think it is actually more essential than I thought. At the same time, over the course of the last few days, there have been a few things that I think are essential that I have been questioning on a deep level.

I learned long ago that logic is only part of what is needed to make decisions and solve problems. This week, I will let more than logic seep into my decision making process as I ponder the essentiality of those things I choose to spend my time on.

Food & Exercise

11:00 breakfast - 1/2 oz. Swiss cheese, 1/2 oz. cheddar cheese, 1 Fiber One oats and chocolate granola bar, coffee (14 oz. water, 1 T. instant coffee, 1 oz. 2% milk, 3 packs aspartame based sweetener)

4:00 lunch - 1/2 peanut butter sandwich (1 slice thin white sandwich bread, 2 T. crunchy peanut butter), coffee (8 oz. water, 1 T. instant coffee, 2 oz. 2% milk, 2 packs aspartame based sweetener)

5:00 exercise - 30 minutes wading (sometimes swimming) through the snow around our trailer

5:45 snack - 1 mini-bag Orville Redenbacher Natural Lime and Salt popcorn (which I see at the website they don't make anymore which is too bad because it is absolutely delicious), 7 pecan halves

8:30 dinner - 2 oz. whole wheat spaghetti with meatsauce (4 oz. Great Value green pepper and mushroom spaghetti sauce & 2 oz. 80% lean ground beef), 8 oz. water

1 comment:

BunnyKissd said...

Swimming in the yard... *gigglefitz* Now *that* sounds fun!