Thursday, December 18, 2008

Day 18: Single-tasking and Weight Loss

This is a weight loss blog, even if it is not your typical one, and I know all of you readers must be wondering how single-tasking can help weight loss. It is obvious how exercise helps. You move; you burn calories. Being positive isn't quite as obvious, but it isn't that hard to see that if you want to reach a goal, you need to stay positive even during the challenging times.

I have found that single-tasking is equally as helpful as either of those habits are. Here is a list of ways that single-tasking is helping me lose weight:

1. When you are single-tasking, you only do one thing at a time. If that thing isn't eating, you don't eat! That keeps me from aimless snacking.

2. There are a lot of things that I want to do to help me to eat healthier. I want to plan my menus in advance. I want to prepare healthy foods that might take a bit more effort than less healthy fast food. I want to search for recipes that my family will like, are diabetic friendly for my girlfriend, and are weight loss friendly for me. These and more are all tasks that I can complete one at a time while single tasking. They are exactly the types of things that I use to do a little bit of and then never complete!

3. Single-tasking has increased my productivity. This has increased my self esteem. Having a better self esteem makes it easier to work towards other goals!

4. If I consider eating a task, to be completed without multi-tasking, I find that I pay more attention to my food. This mindfulness leads to me stopping when I am full and feeling more satisfied after normal sized portions.

5. Exercise is a task to be completed too! No being sidetracked by other things!

2 comments:

Jean said...

good job, I like your blog

the fool on the hill said...

Hi,

I wish you Yuletide Joy and A Blessed New Year together with your family.

Happy Holidays!