Friday, October 10, 2008

Day 10: Positivity = Freedom

One criticism to positivity that I hear fairly often is that people have the right to be negative. Critics loudly (and grumpily) proclaim that they are adults, and they are allowed to be negative so they will be negative! This is so silly. The one they are likely to hurt the most with their negativity is themselves. Negativity pulls you down and takes your freedoms away. If you are wallowing in negativity, it is far less likely that you will be able to reach your goals. The truth is life is full of setbacks. Journeys rarely go one hundred percent smoothly. A key to getting through the problems to the other side is resiliency. Being resilient involves seeing the positive and not letting the negative get you down!

One thing I have noticed is that when people are negative they tend to put a lot of blame on things that they can't change. They look for reasons for the negative and when they find an explanation they hold onto it tight! This is not a good thing. To fully embrace our freedom, we need to be able to see outside of the box to find ways that we can change those things that bring us down. Believing that one is a slave to circumstance is only going to stifle your freedom in the long run.

Yes, you have the freedom to be negative. I have the freedom to do my best to avoid your negativity. I am choosing positivity to give me the full freedom to achieve my goals and live my life with joy!

No comments: