Sunday, September 21, 2008

Positivity - When Health Issues Get in the Way

I was bopping around in my ever expanding bubble of positivity until "pop", ovulation hit and I found myself struggling with negativity all over again! Lots of people get PMS, a little extra irritation, maybe some physical discomfort, an excuse to let negativity creep into your life. I have PMDD (premenstrual dysphoric disorder) basically a debilitating form of PMS which causes severe emotional problems two weeks every month. Yesterday I had my first unexplained crying jag of the month. The littlest things set me off. Sometimes it is literally nothing.

Am I going to let this keep me down? No! Having health issues is no reason to be negative. You may think that the irritability of PMS is a good excuse for showing the world a negative attitude, but in the end, the one you are hurting the most is you! I don't want to feel negative. I want to be happy. I want to have fun! Even when my moods are all over the place, I can be conscious of what is happening and chose positivity and joy as much as possible. Wallowing in the symptoms of PMDD will not help me accomplish this. Yes, I realize that some days it is going to be more of a struggle to find the positive, but it is always there. It is just the hormones making me depressed, not reality.

Many of us have health issues. Some are chronic. (In addition to PMDD, I have fibromyalgia.) Some are temporary. (In the recent past, I have had toothaches and a sinus infection.) When you have a health issue, one of the hardest things to deal with is the feeling that it is not fair! I certainly understand wanting to rant and rave about this unfairness and how hard it is; I also understand having the desire to crawl under the covers and hide in the misery that is our poor health. I am not going to do those things though. I already have health issues; I do not need negativity compounding them!

I am going to accept my health issues as part of who I am today. I am going to take care of myself. I am also going to look at all of my world with positivity. When I feel negative, I am going to squash those feelings and turn them around! I am determined to be a person of positivity facing all the days of my life with optimism, hope, and joy!

No comments: